Pages

Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Legend of Korra: "The Spirit of Competition" (Episode 5)

Wet Fire Ferret
Pabu's talkin' 'bout Real Love

The episode.  Nick.com.  Go watch it.  Return.

So this is a little late.  Maybe people have moved on until next week.  It would really be helpful if Nick would post these episodes a little earlier than mid-Monday, so that I could watch them a couple of times before I write these reviews and get them published while they're still relevant.

After I watched "The Spirit of Competition" the first time, I admit I wasn't a fan.  I thought the development of all the romantic complications was rushed and felt unnatural.  I was also kind of embarrassed.  "Is this Avatar or The Cutting Edge?" I wondered to no one in particular.  I won't say that it elevated itself to "classic" status upon second viewing (I think the romantic quandaries were presented much more subtly and developed more naturally in one-off episodes of Last Airbender like "The Fortuneteller" and "Cave of Two Lovers"), but there were some subtexts worth exploring.

And, yes: Bolin is still an amazing character.

At first, one of the things that put me off about this episode (and still does, to some extent) is the jarring shift from last episode's despair and fear, to the airy and fun times of pro bending.  I realized later that the episode is somewhat more complex, but certain sections still fall flat upon further analysis.  For Korra, Amon should be priority #1, and all of her training should be focused on defeating him.  I understand, from a narrative point-of-view that to do so would cut out our other three main characters completely, but to totally ignore the issue just one episode removed makes me feel like maybe Amon isn't such a big deal after all.  Why isn't anybody talking about him?  He was declared Public Enemy #1!  Why aren't any of the benders at this pro bending match worried about someone who could take away their livelihood?  And, as I mentioned before, this should be the main concern for the Avatar.  But for Mako and Bolin, it is completely understandable that their focus would be primarily on the Pro Bending Championship Tournament.  Winning the championship is their ticket out of whatever slum life they are apparently living.  So it makes sense when Mako tells Bolin that it is unwise to rock the boat that is the Fire Ferrets during the championship.  To him, Korra is first and foremost a means to winning that tournament.  Bolin, the younger and more sheltered of the brothers (excellent example of "showing, not telling": Mako is the one fixing noodles for dinner, while Bolin gives the pet a bath), has trouble understanding the necessity of winning the tournament, because he has never been the one who had to make sure that the pair can survive (I assume. I'm kind of running on speculation here, but I feel like the series supports it).  Having said that, I feel like it is out of character when both brothers give up in the final round of the semifinals.  For someone who has repeatedly said how important it is for the Fire Ferrets to win the championship, Mako gives up pretty easily.  Maybe his new plan is to take a ride on the Golden Asami Sato-Mobile.

Other Observations:
  • Pema is a great character.  I really wish we got to see more of her and Tenzin.  They were both in "A Voice in the Night," but Pema didn't talk in that episode, and Tenzin did not appear at all in this one.  I wonder how much of Korra's relationship with Pema will be a surrogate for a relationship with her mother, since it didn't seem like she got to see her mother very much while living at the South Pole.  Also, I think this is really the first "Mother" in the Avatar universe that we've gotten to (or are going to get to, I hope) spend an extended amount of time with (that's still living).  I look forward to how Bryan and Mike handle that relationship dynamic.
  • All right, I'm going to let myself descend into this madness and nonsense once: Korra and Bolin are great together.  They enjoy the same things, have the same temperament (and social skills), seem to be equally clueless about the hardships of life... she's pretty and he's GORGEOUS!  I don't sense any similarities at all between Korra and Mako.  I think they each admire the other's power and skill at bending, and each think the other is hot.  It feels like a shallow relationship.
  • Mako is still not clicking for me.  I hear him talking and feel like his character is consistent, but there's nothing interesting about him.  For me, that's a good reason to pair him up with Asami--there's really nothing interesting about her, either.  Everything we know about her is related to her fawning over Mako or that her mother's dead.
  • A lot of this episode is light-hearted buildup for next week's episode, in which we can assume *SPOILERS* Amon will make an appearance and take away Tahno's (the jerk captain of the rival pro bending team in the finals) bending.  Folks have told me that such a scene appears in the "Coming This Season" trailer that was shown with the pilot episode online.
  • Little callback to the second episode when Asami compliments Korra on her hat trick.  You know Korra wants to blow her off, like Mako did to her, but she handles it with much more grace.
  • Still a lot of great humor in this episode, for all its missteps.  Pabu and Bolin together in a scene always equals comedy gold.  I like that they gave Bolin a serious moment while his heart is breaking, before making him run off hilariously.

Who Watches The Bolin?
Pabu no longer talks about Real Love

Crackpot-theory-of-the-week: Asami is evil.  Well, maybe not evil, but definitely not someone to be trusted.  This isn't even a crackpot theory--I think this one is probably pretty on-the-mark.  So, let's crackpot it up a little more:  Asami is the granddaughter of Zuko's mom and Earth King Kuei!  Ahh, yeah.  That feels better.

Side note:  The Avengers was awesome and anybody wanting to see guys punching things really hard should go see it.  I highly endorse the film.

All images are the property of Nickelodeon, Inc., Bryan Konietzko, and Mike DiMartino.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barrier exists to break.

Barrier exists to break.