Pages

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

I Support Having Mark Linn-Baker in Every Video Game



Notified by my brothers over at Kotaku, I stumbled upon this gem of a game.  Titled "Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now," after the song that plays over the opening credits to Perfect Strangers, I can't decide if it is marketing/promotional material, or just a programmer who is very enthusiastic about Mary Anne:


The game first asks you to type out a dream that you would like to achieve.  My own personal wish?  To open a ramen-ya/brewpub named "The Thirsty Gaijin".  Your dream then goes onto the Dream Board, where other players can read your fondest dreams for the future.  Some examples include "Find a New Job," "drink beer" (ambitious!), and "suckle your mint leaves," which sounds totally hot... I guess...  To achieve your dream, you have to guide Balki through several different types of terrain (including, for some reason, a flying level) and collect stars, all set to the theme song for the show.

You guys remember the part from Perfect Strangers where Balki has to run through Norwood Park, right?

Collect over 90% of the stars, and you'll be rewarded with a clip of Bronson Pinchot and Mark Linn-Baker doing the "Dance of Joy."  However, if you want to truly achieve your dream, you'll have to collect 100% of the stars available.  It took me about ten tries before I got them all, and the "Dance of Joy" lost some of it's child-like wonder by the time I reached number ten.  But that sweet, sweet soundtrack kept me coming back for more.

The site says that I have achieved Rank #1: "Spiderman Balki".  It does not make it clear whether that is the title given to all who achieve 100%, or if I now rank #1 on a leaderboard of "Nothing's Gonna Stop Me Now" players.  It wouldn't surprise me if both were true.

UPDATE: Apparently the game has been taken offline.  No idea about if it was pressure from Warner or Bronson Pinchot that forced Jason to take it down.  Or perhaps the servers were overtaxed--this thing got a LOT of press.

UPDATE #2: I never received a response from Mr. Oda, but the game is now back online.  Enjoy!

The World Deserves A Perfect Strangers Video Game. Now, It Has One. - kotaku.com

All images are the property of Jason Oda.  Based on characters created by Dale McRaven.  All rights reserved

2 comments:

  1. Given that you can't find Perfect Strangers on hulu (or anywhere else), my guess is that the owners are very protective of their intellectual property.

    Also, the wings right as the theme song turns to "wings":
    "Standing tall, on the wings of my dream.
    Rise and fall, on the wings of my dream."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can even buy the flying part a little more than I buy Balki running through the ghetto. What part of the song does that represent?

    As to the first point, I have an e-mail out to the game's creator, Jason Oda, and I'll update the post if he gets back to me.

    ReplyDelete

Barrier exists to break.

Barrier exists to break.