Pages

Saturday, April 28, 2012

The Scam of College Textbooks

Well, recently I decided that I would go back to University to try to pick up some new skills.  So, of course, this means that I get the unbridled pleasure of paying extravagant, unseemly amounts for some books that I will use for three months, and then never crack the covers of again.

It used to be that this wasn't as flagrantly offensive a practice, since you used to be able to buy a textbook used, for a more reasonable price, and then resell it after the semester was over, recouping some of your loss.  Well, I don't know if the video game industry nudged the textbook industry, or vice-versa, but it seems that now, textbook publishers have started including one-time use codes that unlock online components of the textbook.  These codes are included if you buy the book new, but if you buy it used, the online code has already been used up by someone else.  The previous owner's work and records are imprinted to that code.  You've got to buy another.

I understand the desire to increase book sales, and I understand that publishers (both of video games and of textbooks... well, really of anything) do not profit from second-hand sales of their products.  And I understand that the online components are not always vital to the usage of the book.  A professor can choose to ignore it completely, focusing only on the text.  But are struggling college students, most of whom are already massively in debt, really a good target for Harcourt to try to bilk a few extra dollars out of?

And really, does this do them that much good?  I used to automatically order my books from the University Bookstore every year, so that they would be waiting for me in a box when I arrived on campus.  I would mark that they should pull used books wherever they could, and if none were available, to box up a new copy for me.  Now, however, I plan to take a more wait-and-see approach to buying textbooks.  I am going to attend class for a couple of days and see how vital the text is.  Many times I have bought a textbook and then never opened it, still managing to pass the class with high marks.  With new books now being the only option, I am less likely to be willing to take such a risk, especially with the knowledge that, after I purchase one of these new textbooks, it is essentially worthless for purposes of resale.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Barrier exists to break.

Barrier exists to break.